We have noticed more and more people are using Macs for business these days. We also know there are challenges with using bookkeeping software on a Mac, and want to present solutions for effectively using QuickBooks on a Mac. Because QuickBooks has around 90% market share, we will focus on QuickBooks. We understand many business owners prefer Macs, and it is important that we present bookkeeping solutions that are Mac compatible.
Challenges Of Bookkeeping Software On Macs
- The Mac version of QuickBooks is limited in functionality you might need. Features common in PC versions are slow to be incorporated in the Mac version. For example, until only this year there was no multi-user function.
- The Mac version is different software and is not compatible with PCs. If you have a mixed computing environment, you cannot access QuickBooks from both Macs and PCs. Plus the user interface is different so getting good bookkeeping support can be harder to find.
- Tax preparation can be more difficult. Most CPAs use PCs and many prefer to use a copy of the QuickBooks database during the tax preparation process. Because the Mac version uses a different database format, you cannot easily provide a copy to your CPA. There is a database conversion process, but it is cumbersome and something most people want to avoid.
Ways To Use QuickBooks More Effectively On Macs
- Use the Online Edition of QuickBooks. It may not be a fit for your business as functionality is limited and the interface is slower to use than a regular desktop edition. However, the Online Edition is compatible with Mac web browsers and it is an option to consider that avoids local IT headaches and allows you to provide access to your CPA.
- Use a fully-featured PC desktop edition, but hosted in a datacenter and accessible from Macs over the web using Terminal Services or Citrix. You have a fully-featured version of QuickBooks and can choose between the Pro, Premier and Enterprise editions depending on your specific needs. Although you can use the software on your Mac, you can easily share QuickBooks with your CPA because it is the PC edition. There are a number of application hosting companies who provide this service. You could also host QuickBooks on your own server, though most small businesses do not have the infrastructure and expertise to set up a remote access QuickBooks server. Other benefits of a hosted solution are that QuickBooks can easily be accessed remotely, not just from your own computer or in your own office, and it is backed up automatically for you.
We understand many business owners prefer Macs, and it is important that our bookkeeping services be 100% Mac compatible. SmartBooks typically uses a hosted QuickBooks solution that is Mac compatible, and we support the Online Edition. We also use an online document management system accessible from all popular internet browsers.
If you would like to discuss which solution is best for your business to use QuickBooks on a Mac, or would like more information about SmartBooks services, contact founder Calvin Wilder at 978.202.3064 x700 or email@example.com.